Wednesday, June 4, 2008

TV Wasteland


As a 38 year old woman, I have the television-watching habits of a 15 yr old. I'll watch Reality TV till the cows come home. I'm ashamed to say that I have yet to turn away from an episode of "Sweet 16" or "The Real Housewives of Anywhere". But lately something is amiss. Every since the finale of American Idol, there has been a lull in the prime time hours that has left me feeling empty.

As I flipped through channels last night, jonesing for entertainment like Amy Winehouse for a hit of crack, I was astonished at the craptastic choices available amongst my 373 channels. E! actually had a show called "Real Life Cougar Tales." Are you kidding? Even I had to draw the line at this. I quickly flipped over to my fail-safe channel VH1 and was horrified to find an airing of Trista and Ryan's Wedding from 2001, which was the culmanation of an entire marathon of the first Bachelorette series. Really VH1? If this is the best that you can do then I need to step  in as the programing director pronto. Honestly, I'd rather see a marathon of the 1970's game show Match Game than watch Trista and Ryan tie the knot. Speaking of Match Game, I was so desparate the other night I actually watched "Million Dollar Password" hosted by Regis Philbin. When I caught my self screaming clues out at celebrity guest Neil Patrick Harris, I knew I had reached rock bottom. 

My TIVO is barren. Perhaps it is time for me to take a trip to Borders and purchase a few books. Go to the gym in the evening? Maybe even play a game with my kids - which I'll do, right after tonight's new episode of The Real World. -VAL





No comments: