Tuesday, June 17, 2008

This Day In History


Hard to believe, but it was 14 years ago today that the infamous OJ Bronco chase took place. I was newly married, childless and living in a small apartment in Scottsdale, Arizona. I sat enthralled during the entire chase, hypnotized by the onscreen action (or lack thereof). Would OJ shoot himself in the head? Would they crash into a Semi resulting in a bloody fireball? Would AJ Cowlings stop at a Burger King and order a Double Whopper with Cheese? Oh the possibilities. Sadly the car chase itself was mostly uneventful - but we were all sucked in by that white SUV cruising down the 405. 

Although it's embarrassing to admit, my addiction to celebrity drama goes way back to my childhood. I was only 13 when John Belushi died, yet I was obsessed with the details of his gritty death. When Princess Di passed, I was glued to CNN for days. During the Anna Nicole "baby-daddy" drama, my kids almost disowned me because of their sheer disgust with my nonstop entertainment television Anna-watch. When Anna dropped dead smack during the middle of the Daddy Dilemma, my curiosity reached critical mass. My house became Anna headquarters. Seriously, I could have been booked on Larry King chronicling the details of the last few months of her life for as much of an expert I had become.


If it were up to me E! True Hollywood Story and VH1 Behind the Music would run on a continuous loop on the "Scandal Channel". Sadly, this is not the case and even more sadly I need to get a life. Until the next car chase, drug overdose, wardrobe malfunction or illicit affair, which should be any day now.
VAL

No comments: