Saturday, April 10, 2010

SyFy Channel, I Hardly Knew Ye

I've always breezed right by the SyFy Network because, although I might be a dork, I'm certainly not dorky enough to sit thru an 8-hour marathon of Battlestar Gallactica. I've never even sat thru an entire episode of Star Trek.

I stopped in my tracks however, when I saw today's SyFy lineup:
7:00 pm: "DinoShark"
9:00 pm: "Mega Piranha"
11:00 pm: Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus
1:00 am: "Sharks in Venice"

Who knew this channel had such an amazing selection of Mutant Sea Creature genre films? And while these movies could probably stand on their own by the sheer genius of their titles and the spare-no-expense special effects that I'm sure SyFy doles out on all of their original movies, they really sealed the deal with their all-star casting. Some Wunderkind casting director was able to snatch up both Tiffany AND Barry Williams (aka Greg Brady) as the leads in "Mega Piranha." Fear not however, because Deborah Gibson and Lorenzo Lamas aren't left out.  You can catch their thespian expertise in "Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus." SyFy saved the best for last however, by casting Stephen Baldwin in "Sharks in Venice" (let me guess, he plays a Roman Catholic Priest/Marine Biologist who kills the deadly shark with a holy cross while riding in a Gondola with Sheena Easton?)

Oh the regret I have for not discovering this channel sooner. How many other original SyFy Channel movies have I missed? Thank god for the Internet, because after a quick Google search it turns out I've missed quite a bit, including: "Mansquito", "SwampDevil", and "Chupacabra: Dark Seas."

Needless to say, I have my  night planned. Two diet Red Bulls, a bag of microwave popcorn and a date with a mutant piranha and Greg Brady. Ahh, happiness (and in no way a waste of 2 hours of my life).

Click here to see a sneak preview of Mega Piranha (Warning: I laughed so hard when I watched this that I actually peed a little bit).

No comments: