Monday, November 24, 2008

Twilight Mania


I've heard about the Twilight series for the past year now - even tried to buy the book for my son Daniel, who promptly told me "thanks, but no thanks." An avid reader myself I also overlooked the book, because 1) I've never been a Vampire genre kind of gal and 2) I'm not a 14 year old girl.

But last week the media bombarded everyone with all things "Twilight" and my kids became brainwashed by the  madness and forced me to take them. So on Saturday, me, Daniel (13), Ellie (11) and Daniel's best friend fought our way through the hoards of adolescent girls and went to see "Twilight". 

For the first 20 minutes I couldn't help but let out several loud guffaws. It was ripe with teenage angst and long lovey-dovey stare contests between Edward, the vampire and his aneroxic, pouty love interest Bella. I felt tanner than George Hamilton after watching vampire Edward and his cronies who were the color of a Chinette paper plate. Midway thru the movie, I actually started to like it and by the end I was a total fan. Sure some of the special effects and dialogue were cheesier than Velveeta, but after all is said and done it worked for me.

My daughter's best friend is so obsessed with the movie that she asked me to make her an "I Love Edward" shirt using some extra iron-on letters I had lying around. Since I didn't have all the available letters, I ended up cutting and pasting other letters to make the "L" and "W" and "D" causing the shirt to look like a 1970's kidnapping ransom note. She loved the shirt so much that she even wore it to her second showing on Sunday (yes I let my kids go back for a second round of Vampire worship the next day). Thank god I only had to make one tee shirt, as my kids, like me would rather parade around naked than wear a shirt proclaiming their love for someone. 

The country is in the middle of an economic crisis and I ended up spending $85 on that damned movie this weekend (between tickets for me and the kids and the snacks). Seriously, for $85 I could have purchased a 1/2 pair of Citizens of Humanity jeans or had a Swedish Massage. Crap, now I'm going to have to buy the books too.
-val

No comments: