Friday, January 16, 2009

Michael Goodwonder will haunt my dreams


No other show is able to exploit the losers of the world quite like American Idol. Naturally the producers saw gold when the discovered this guy during the Kansas City tryouts. I love the fact that even though he is 20 years old (and a sandwich maker by trade - a total catch) he wore a tarnished medal with a music note that he received in elementary school for "best vocalizing".

Hey, I got a 4th place ribbon in Vault back in 1979 during  a summer gymnastics class. Damn! I should have pinned that ribbon to a leotard and showed up for the Beijing Olympic tryouts. 

But there's something about young Mr. Goodwonder that gets to me. Is it his torn Fruit of the Loom tee shirt, autographed by all his high school friends? Maybe his butter-colored locks styled like Jim Carrey's  character Lloyd in "Dumb and Dumber"? His pearly whites? His wicked "vocalizing" skills? And who could help but shed a tear when he belted out that amazing original song he wrote for his mom. I guess I'm just a sucker for a Momma's boy. 
-Val

1 comment:

Jennifer Good said...

Is he the token mentally challenged person this year? Or is it a Kansas City thing?

(If you know anyone mentally challenged or from Kansas, my sincerest apologies)

I'll bet he'll be the next William Hung.