Sunday, March 7, 2010

Pre-Oscar Babble


I'm going to attempt to do a "live" Oscar post later, although I'm about to crack open a bottle of Pinot Grigio so no promises. Yesterday my son and I went to see "Shutter Island" and in an unfortunate twist of fate (long story) ended up seeing "The Crazies." I have to admit that despite my guilty pleasure of zombie movies and disaster flicks, it was painful handing $18 for two ppl and saying out loud, "two for 'The Crazies'". Even more painful: the $21 for popcorn, nachos and 2 cokes. Needless to say it was another predictable slasher movie and it took every ounce of will power for me not to yell out: "That IS Crazy!!!" every time someone got impaled with a bloody pitchfork. Call me Crazy, but this film probably won't be up for any Oscars come next year at this time.

Speaking of Oscars, I haven't seen most of the films nominated for the Best Movie Oscar (not even Avatar) so I bucked down and reluctantly watched "The Hurt Locker" today. It really was a edge of your seat kind of movie and no one can resist a renegade, adrenaline-addicted soldier with a heart of gold. Without giving too much away, the movie ended with the soldier realizing that coming home to his wife and son is a let down and he signs up for another tour of duty. The movie ended with room for a sequel, which I think should be titled: "Hurt Locker 2: Electric Boogaloo."

As far as "best movie" goes, I'm personally am rooting for anything other than Avatar. Only because James Cameron seems like a world class A-hole, with more money than God.


No comments: